There is that old adage: Be careful what you wish for.
On Sunday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi went to the Leftist State Media safe haven of CBS’s Face the Nation and said this:
“The president could come right before the committee and talk, speak all the truth that he wants if he wants. He has every opportunity to present his case.”
And Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer impulsively agreed, saying:
“If Donald Trump doesn’t agree with what he’s hearing, doesn’t like what he’s hearing, he shouldn’t tweet. He should come to the committee and testify under oath.”
And here exactly was Trump’s response that should terrify Democrats:
Can you imagine the ratings? Americans would tune in by the zillions to watch the President they elected to disrupt Washington stride into the lion’s den and face down the cowardly Schiff and his minions in person. He would take them on – face to face. He would take no guff. He would tell them that they and their do-nothing colleagues were exactly the reason he was elected in the first place. He could sit there at the witness table and demand to know the answers from the Committee of at least these five questions:
- When will you investigate what President Obama knew – and when he knew it – of the move to sabotage first my campaign and then, when that failed, to sabotage my presidency?
- When will you demand former Vice President Joe Biden and son Hunter testify on their corrupt dealings in Ukraine, China, and look into their dealings in Romania?
- When will you call the whistleblower to sit right here and testify in public – just as I am doing?
- When will you call Adam Schiff as a fact witness and demand that he sit right here where I’m sitting and answer your questions?
- When will you call Hillary Clinton and demand that she answer questions about her campaign’s paying for information from Russians that were used in the dirty dossier and used to interfere in an American election?
In short? Pelosi stepped into a trap. A huge trap. President Trump – he the one-time reality TV host – could easily turn the tables on Pelosi, Schiff, Schumer and company. He could literally be seen on live television doing exactly what all those millions of Americans who voted for him wanted him to do: disrupt the corrupt Washington status quo that Pelosi, Schiff, Schumer, and so many others have come to personify.
As said in the beginning, one is always wise to beware of what they wish for.
Get the popcorn…?